Sunday, January 23, 2011

January Chill

It's been pretty cold for the last couple of days. Minus 27C and supposed to get even colder tonight. Brrrr. But it's not cold in the plant shed! It was a treat to go up there this afternoon and inspect the orchids, several of which are coming into bloom for the first time.I bought them as small plants at the Ottawa Orchid Show in 2009. I can't afford the large plants and anyway I would worry about killing them as I don't have that much experience with orchids. The fun part of buying seedlings is that you never quite know what you are going to get, and you could get something really nifty, but of course the down side is that it is equally possible that what you'll get will be something dull. I bought six, and all of them have grown well. One bloomed in December with a gorgeous, and very large, white flower with a yellow lip. I've managed to lose the label so can't tell you the name, but it was some sort of Catleya cross. Today there is a similar one with several large frilly lemon yellow blooms just starting to open, and these two:


Slc. Hsin Buu Lady
Lctna. Lawless Gloriana

The red one is a bit twisted on the stalk, just like the leftmost of the yellow flowers. Not sure what causes this. I tried not to change the plants' orientation once the flower buds appeared, but maybe I did. Or maybe they will still straighten out, or maybe it is because this is their first flowering and they will be better next time. Anyway, they were a nice treat on a cold day!

No comments:

Post a Comment