Friday, January 18, 2013

January

It is very January today.

The sun is shining but, at nearly noon, is barely above the trees. Shadows are long as Kip and I crunch along through snow that is about half ice.


We see lots of the effects of the heavy snowfall we had two weeks ago. Lots of broken branches:


And some very bent-over white cedars:


Add to this the effects of last summer's drought:


 and you can see I am going to have a lot of work to do in the Spring!

I've tentatively decided that I am going to have to get a chainsaw..... they scare the dickens out of me, but surely I can learn to use one safely. I've tried hiring someone to come and cut down stuff, but it costs so much, and they never quite do what you want. So maybe I need to learn to do it myself. Maybe.

We come back on the driveway, which is bare but covered with ice. It is so slippery even Kip has trouble walking, and he has 4-paw drive!

Yep, it's January.

2 comments:

  1. Elisabeth, I have to confess to giving up on snow altogether one winter in Vermont when my dog Luther kept cutting himself, breaking through the crusty, icy layer on top. It's lovely to look at your snow from here, though... :D
    I don't know whether you have the equivalent of County Cooperative Extensions there--organizations that provide free info to homeowners/gardeners/agriculturists on things like how to operate chainsaws? Good luck, whichever way you go.
    What beautiful land you have there, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy. That's a good suggestion and I will look around for some sort of seminar or short course on using a chainsaw. I think at least one of the big box hardware stores offers such things. Make me more confident, if nothing else!

      Delete